These are unprecedented times as the whole world deals with the outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus. As a result of this issue Francis Produce Company wants our employees to be aware of these procedures if you develop flu type symptoms:
- Do not report to work.
- Call the Greenville infectious disease control nurse at 864.255.1993 and let them instruct you as to what to do, where to go and if you need to be tested.
- Any employee that tests positive will be put on medical leave and must have no contact with any other employees of Francis Produce.
We are also in constant contact with medical professionals and experts in our area to help to continue to develop new safeguards and find accurate early detection test
- The following procedures will be implemented in order to help combat the spread of the virus:
- Daily cleaning of handrails, doorknobs, steering wheels, latches and door handles of all trucks.
- Daily sanitizing of trucks cargo area.
- Any employee testing positive or exposed to anyone with the virus will be on medical leave for minimum of 14 days and can not have contact with other personnel during this time
At this point we do not know the anticipated impact on imported fruit and vegetables. We handle nothing at this point from Europe but do ship some Mexican and South American products. Mostly in the fruit category.
Currently there is no evidence that this virus lives on fresh fruits and vegetables. We are working closely with the South Carolina Department of Agriculture and local university extension services and ag partners to confirm this.
Most growers are keeping H-2-A workers confined to housing they provide to keep outside exposure at a minimum. And as always, practicing regular food safety procedures.
This is a constantly changing situation, so more measures may be implemented as needed and defined moving forward.
Steven C Francis
Francis Produce Company